Five Reasons Why I Love Florence
1. Walking around, especially at night, is magical – street performers aplenty, beautiful lighting, lovers hand in hand and enchanting Italian music wafting through the air.
2. Simple, yet tasty Tuscan fare. Walk into a small eatery and feast on local delicacies, such as Bistecca Fiorentina, lampredotto and trippa alla Fiorentina. Most of these dishes were considered humble peasant fare, but the passion the Florentines put into preparing them elevates the food into a delectable masterpiece.
3. Meandering into an unassuming alley is like walking into a treasure trove. You discover cramped boutiques that sell the most handsome looking footwear at prices that can’t be beat; you stumble upon a neighbourhood stall that serves the most delicious salami and truffle cream paninis with a matching glass of chianti; and you chance upon little art studios filled with bright-eyed creatives.
4. Stylish locals that effortlessly strut and flirt as they enjoy a marrocchino or an aperitivo by the bar.
5. The city’s artistry has the ability to take your breath away. From masterpieces at the Uffizi, Pitti and Accademia, to beautifully adorned buildings and gorgeous piazzas.
Its been a great year for Maison Kitsuné, the French music and fashion label headed by Gildas Loaëc and Masaya Kuroki. Not only did the brand recently celebrate its 10th anniversary, it also presented its women’s collection for the first time at Pitti W in Florence, Italy, as specially chosen guest designers.
The show took place at the Palazzo Capponi, a breathtaking and historic space where Maison Kitsuné provided more than just a typical fashion show. Instead of having models parade around, the brand unveiled a layered and dynamic experience: An eclectic mix of both fashion and music, presented in a show staged as a live TV recording, starring top musicians on the Kitsuné label.
Performing live at the show and decked out in Maison Kitsuné Fall-Winter 2013 were hot new sensation CITIZENS!, the seductresses Say Lou Lou, the French talent Yelle and the DJ duo from London, Eli & Fur.
Meanwhile, Verbal and Yoon, of Japanese hip-hop group M-Flo and Ambush Design respectively, hosted the show while being filmed by Loïc Prigent.
As for the clothes, the Fall-Winter 2013 collection introduced a modern re-imagination of Maison Kitsuné classics, inspired by Alfred Hitchcock’s movies from the 50′s. The graphic lines, prints and high-quality fabrics certainly gave to this collection an undeniable preppy style with a modern, urban touch.